21 May TMJ Home Treatments: Ease TMJ Pain at Home
TMJ leaves as many as 3 million Americans in pain every year. Lockjaw, tenderness, and tightness in the jaw and facial muscles are all uncomfortable symptoms of TMJ. Luckily, there are TMJ home treatments to help alleviate the side effects and general pain.
The Cause of TMJ
It’s hard to pinpoint the cause of TMJ because jaw pain and mobility rely on many different factors. For some, TMJ may be genetic. However, TMJ is also linked to arthritis, jaw injury, dental surgery, and braces. In some cases, braces move the disk or jaw out of its natural alignment, resulting in jaw tension and pain. Knowing the cause of your TMJ pain can help to better treat the pain and avoid future jaw tension.
TMJ Home Treatment
To alleviate joint pain, try out these TMJ home treatments. In most cases, TMJ tends to go away after self-care treatments and time.
- Take a break from chewing gum. Chewing excessively over-exercises the jaw joint. This creates tension in the face muscles near the ears and jaw.
- Pay attention to your posture. Leaning forward to read from a computer or cell phone leads to neck and back strain. Neck and back strain creates more pain in and around the jaw. Try to sit up straight and avoid resting your jaw or face in your hands.
- Similar to chewing gum, steer clear of tough foods that overwork your jaw. Try eating soft foods, like yogurt or eggs.
- Try icing each side of your jaw in 10-minute intervals to numb the pain. You may also use a moist heat compress as an alternative.
- When you’re conscious of it, try and keep your teeth slightly apart and relax your jaw.
- If you tend to grind or clench your teeth, especially while sleeping, consider investing in a mouth guard. The mouth guard will prevent jaw clenching and grinding while you sleep. Many also opt to use a TMJ oral device while driving.
- Message the area to break-up joint tightness and enhance blood flow. Open your mouth and gently rub the tense area until the muscle feels relaxed and soft.
- Magnesium and calcium are both popular pain relief home treatments that ease TMJ pain. Mix 250 milligrams of magnesium powder, 500 milligrams of calcium powder, and a glass of orange juice together. The minerals mixed together work to relax your muscles and alleviate jaw tension and tenderness.
- For short-term relief, consider taking a pain reliever or a natural anti-inflammatory like turmeric.
If pain persists after TMJ home treatments, considering speaking with a dentist or orthodontist about the ongoing issue.